Monday, March 16, 2020

#DoctorLynn.com #Monday Dose ~ #Corona Virus #Furlough #Social Isolation #YMCA #LAFITNESS @Thriveglobal


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
First I was put on furlough and then the Governor made it mandatory that everyone over 65 go into social isolation. Now Social isolation and furlough is not a good thing for seniors, but in this case it means something so different than the text book definition of these do devastating steps.

Furlough is a military term that means to be relieved of duty without pay until further notice. Social isolation means: Social isolation is a state of complete or near-complete lack of contact between an individual and society. It differs from loneliness, which reflects temporary and involuntary lack of contact with other humans in the world.

 As a senior I’ve been banished from society!

My first reaction was shock and then I asked myself why are seniors being told to isolate? Why not tell the rest of the world to isolate since seniors are at risk? Well, it seems that isolating seniors is probably the best way to protect them for it seems #Corona prefers the mature over the young and naive.

With a cupboard full of food, the internet and Netflix I am just hunkering down for the week or two or three or however long this isolation last. But what about those who must work, help with childcare or have poor health? There is government and community help. Reach out and ask for it. Asking for help is a sign of strength and not a weakness.

Isolation can be devastating, or it can be a time to relax, rest, read, work on fun projects and connect via the internet with friend and family. In other words we have to make the best of what life hands us and always remind ourselves that there are many things beyond our control. We never know when one day we will wake up and be told the world has come to a grinding halt and is in isolation. Never forget that humans and humanity is not invincible and that something as small as a virus can destroy us faster than trade wars, embargos and pollution.

One organization that I work for, the #YMCA, has taken decisive action keeping us informed, canceling class and setting up a link to help those who are out of work get help from a loss of pay. They are even looking at ways to help pay employees for lost time. If you have not supported your local YMCA I would highly suggest it. The organization is run with a deep sense of commitment to the community and to its members and staff.

I work for a private company #LAFITNESS who has not even so much as made a public statement about what they are doing to keep the gyms clean, to help employees or to give any support. As of this time I am still scheduled to teach my classes although the Governor has asked for mandatory social isolation. Shame on a company, as big as LAFITNESS, for not taking responsible action towards its members and its employees.

So thanks to #Corona I am in isolation and on furlough until further notice while eating healthy, taking my immune booster and getting some sunshine and fresh air. I’m making the best of it all by relaxing, enjoying my time off, taking time to admire the wild flowers in my backyard and catching up on projects I let slip off the shelf. What we do with our time and the circumstances we are handed can bring either positive or negative results. I am doing what I can in my small way to help the country and the world get past this temporary blip or disruption by taking my furlough and isolating myself. It may seem small but if everyone does their part we will all survive and who knows the ending result  might be that we all @thriveglobal !

Namaste ~ may you go with health, happiness and peace

Doctor Lynn


Doctor Lynn’s Pep Berry Rob – immune booster


 

 
 


 

 




 

No comments: