Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Successful Life – Time to myself

I’m a busy person. Seems these days we’re all very busy doing a lot of “stuff”. Taking time for you to do nothing is a luxury for me. With a busy schedule, children and a husband I often get lost in the fray. That’s when I know it is time to do nothing but reconnect with myself.


Some people are afraid to be alone with themselves. They feel lost and disconnected. For me time alone is a pleasure especially when I can do as I please which often times would be quite boring to another person. Ever wonder what people like to do when they’re alone?

I like to listen to music and dance around the house or clean my closet, organize my clothes or take a long hot bath. Shopping on line is fun but it can get you into trouble!

I’ve always liked my space; meaning I have never minded being alone. I am one of two children. My sibling is a brother so I always had my own room and my own space as a child. I grew up in a very rural area so I had plenty of time to wonder along the seashore or through the woods by myself. I have always appreciated the sounds of nature and the solitude of being one with the world.

But at the same time I love to talk with friends and socialize. Given the choice I would become a recluse. Why? Because sometimes it’s nice to not have to talk or entertain anyone. Sometimes it’s nice to just be alone with your thoughts.

Yoga has taught me many things over the many years I have taught. One of the things it has taught me is that time to yourself, to get in touch with myself is good for the body, the mind and the soul. It’s hard to hear the voice within when we are constantly being bombarded with noise.

I always start my yoga classes with a few moments to get quiet and reconnect with the inner self. And I likewise I end the class with a few moments of reconnection. Hopefully the moments of quietude resonate within and remind others that a few moments given to you is sometimes all it takes to gather the energy to give more to others.

Doctor Lynn

http://www.doctorlynn.com/

No comments: