Friday, December 31, 2010

A Successful life a New Focus

As I look ahead to the New Year I can’t help but setting new goals for myself. Can I see these through to the end or will I simply make a few resolutions and quickly forget? Will they lose their importance? Will I have the self discipline needed to stay focused?


This year I am going to take French lessons. I’ve always wanted to learn to speak French. We’re going to France in late May of 2011 and I would like to be able to practice a newly learned art of communication.

Now it’s been something I’ve been thinking about doing for a few years and never got around to it. Then about two days ago I saw an ad in the paper for French lessons. Two nights later I found the flyer for the language school in a local restaurant. The price is right, the time is right so I think I’m going to do it.

I’ve always wanted to live in France for a short while as I would love to absorb the culture in a way that can only be done by living in a place. I did that here in Los Angeles when I moved from Maine to LA!

Yesterday as I was driving down Wilshire Blvd and then onto the freeway, I realized how easily I moved about the city. I have become absorbed into the Southern California culture. When I first moved here it was all so over whelming. I would get exhausted and over stressed from the noise, activity and traffic. Now all those things are simply annoyances that most days I simply accept as part of my life.

8 weeks for 80 minutes a week at $225.00 to learn to speak beginning French. It’s a commitment that sounds like fun. It’s something I’ve thought about doing for years. Perhaps it’s time to stop thinking about it and just do it. That’s how goals get met and success is found.

Looking back over the year – I spent quality time with my family, no one was sick or injured, I went on Safari in Africa, my marriage got stronger, I finished and published my book, I got a new porche, my friendships endured, I saved a little money, I passed the two year remission mark for cancer, and I really appreciated every day - for if you have your health – you have it all. Not a bad year!

Doctor Lynn

http://www.doctorlynn.com/

No comments: