Friday, January 21, 2011

A Successful Life – Yellow Tulips on my desk

It is early morning and I am not yet awake. The sun is just peaking above the horizon. I glance up and see the vase of yellow tulips sitting on my desk. They give me a lift as their brightness unfolds. Tulips remind me of spring. Tulips make me feel happy. I take a moment and appreciate these little flowers and realize this is what it means to live a successful life. Appreciate the little things. However tulips are not just little things.


I am going to Amsterdam in May and hoping the spring will be late and I will get to see the tulips in bloom. According to Wikipedia:

The tulip is a perennial, bulbous plant with showy flowers in the genus Tulipa, which comprises 109 species[1] and belongs to the family Liliaceae.[2] The genus's native range extends from as far west as Southern Europe, North Africa, Anatolia, and Iran to the Northwest of China. The tulip's centre of diversity is in the Pamir, Hindu Kush, and Tien Shan mountains.[3] A number of species and many hybrid cultivars are grown in gardens, as potted plants, or to display as fresh-cut flowers. Most cultivars of tulip are derived from Tulipa gesneriana.

Wow those little flowers sure are far reaching. At one time in history the tulip bulb was worth more than gold. Around 1634-1637 speculation on the price of tulips soared causing what was know at tulip mania. It was a t this time that many painter and potters added pictures of tulips to their work.

The first tulips in North America were believed to have been planted in Lynn Massachusetts by a wealthy farmer. My name is Lynn. The town was Lynn and I love tulips! I learned something new today simply by clicking the mouse and reading Wikipedia. So the tulips not only made me happy but they taught me something I did not know simply because I took a moment and appreciated their beauty.

Today look at something, question its origin and appreciate its beauty.

Doctor Lynn

http://www.doctorlynn.com/

No comments: