Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Successful Life Learning for Fun

I’m taking French. The class is small and is becoming a lot of fun. I look forward to going to class. Yes I am learning French. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time. But it is also fun. We laugh and kid each other. Everybody is serious about learning but not seriously learning. We are all adults that are just enjoying the experience.


I love going to school. I’ve always been a good student. I’ve studied hard and been very serious about learning. I’m still serious about leaning but this time it’s all for fun. Perhaps it is my age? Perhaps it is my present station in life? More likely it is my ability to draw interesting and fun people into my life. It’s part of maturing. The competition of excelling fades only to be replaced with a sense of self satisfaction at simply learning something new. It helps that everyone in the class equally laughs at themselves. We all do such a debauchery of the language.

It’s not that completion isn’t something good. Competition makes us excel. New products and innovative services are produced because of competition. Money is made and people work to produce the best quality so as to win the coveted prize; whatever that might be. What is sad is when the essence of the end product gets lost in the fierce desire to win.

I’ve never been competitive in sports or business. I’m not aggressive enough. But I’ve been competitive in love, school, art, knowledge and creativity. I’m mostly competitive with myself. I always expect more from myself. At times I’ve pushed myself very hard to succeed. But these days I’m a little less aggressive and a lot more likely to focus on having fun. And guess what? The more fun I seem to be having the more successful I seem to be at the things that matter most in life.

We start out as young children laughing and having fun. Then we are programmed to be serious and competitive. Sometimes the pressure of it all takes all the fun out of life. One of the good things about aging is having the insight and ability to recapture a bit of that fun. Ever noticed how older people seem to laugh and get such joy out of the little things in life? That’s because we realize with age and experience that having fun makes life a rewarding and successful learning experience.

Doctor Lynn

http://www.doctorlynn.com/

No comments: