Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Successful Life Surviving A Bad Night’s Sleep

Sleep is something I love to do. I usually sleep eight to nine hours a night. I have always hated waking up to the blast of an alarm clock so very early on I trained myself to wake up just before the alarm goes off. It’s an easy trick. Just tell yourself what time to wake up before you go to sleep and it usually works. Set the alarm for insurance. About 95 percent of the time I wake up before the alarm. But last night for some strange reason sleep evaded me.


I tossed and turned trying to fall asleep. Then I woke up at 3:00AM and tossed until 5:30 AM when I just gave in and got up. I have a lot of work to do today including teaching two cycle classes and a French class this evening. I really needed a good night’s sleep. I’m not sure how I’m going to make it through the day on less than 4 hours of sleep. However I feel amazingly wide awake.

Nothing significant is bothering me. I’m not under stress or feel anxious; the usual things that rob one of sleep. I’m just awake. So I decide to go with it. I can always catch up on my sleep. This is just one of those nights that come along. What can I do? Nothing when my brain won’t let me sleep. So I decide to make the best of it.

I’m up early. More time to write and get some of my work out of the way. May-be I can have a second cup of tea this morning before running off to teach my class? I can get my emails out early and get ahead of my work today. I’ll sleep tonight and make up for the lost sleep. It’s just another day and so what if I’m a bit tired by the afternoon?

Oh no….there is French class tonight. I have to be alert and think in French class. I need to study before I go. No time to take a nap this afternoon. I’m feeling anxious now. But French class is supposed to be fun. Well it is but not when you’re tired. The brain won’t want to process anything later today especially another language!

I have time for a second cup of tea. How nice! I have time to get my work out early. As the morning begins to dawn I accept the day and decide to go with the flow. If exhaustions should over take me I’ll find a few minutes and take a quick nap. If I’m not at my peak tonight in French class I’ll make up for it next week. Sleep comes and sleep goes. Days blend into each other as we routinely move through our lives. Do I remember all the sleepless nights I’ve experienced in my life? I remember the stressful times and the traumas. And yes those brought on sleepless nights. But I don’t remember the sleeplessness. Last night was not filled with stress or anxiety. It was just a sleepless night. I have survived all the sleepless nights and I will survive this one. Sleep has a way of returning.

Doctor Lynn

http://www.doctorlynn.com/

No comments: